Forums
Posted By: mharford91 D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Hello from Canada!

I'm trying to do some research on my family, who I believe used to own a shop in Bebington. It was a D.I.Y. / timber supplier and possibly builder. From researching old phone books, I believe it was located at 2A Bromborough road. It's listed in the phone book as "Harford W.E. & Co, Bldrs Mrcnts" and later, "Harford W.E. & Co, D.I.Y."

Does anyone remember this shop, or even better, have any photos of it?

Edit: I should add, I'm not sure when it first opened, but the phone book entrys I looked at are from the 1970's and 1980's.
Posted By: bert1 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 3rd Mar 2024 9:12pm
I went in occasionally during the 80s plus, can't remember when it closed.

1952 Directory,
Harford Brothers, contractors.

It's not showing in the 1938 directory.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 3rd Mar 2024 11:18pm
Its only in the last 15 years(?) it stopped being a DIY shop, I think there was an article in the paper about it closing down or something. The last time I remember seeing it, it looked like a Rightway store with metal bins etc out in front of the building. Shortly after I went to buy something there and it had closed.

I presume the brothers were Samuel Harford and William Edward Harford. The shop and the timber yard might have been split into separate businesses at some time.

String of restaurants/cafes in there since. Garrets? and I'm not sure if Restaurent Italia moved there from down the road for a short while.

I photographed or videod an incident outside the property some time ago but I haven't found it, probably deleted but I'll check more over the next few days, it is more likely on another computer.

Edit:

Garretts
Le Bistro
La Luce Del Sole
I think there is a cafe there now?
Posted By: bri445 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 4th Mar 2024 11:49am
I lived at 23 and remember it in the '50s-'60s as DIY/wallpaper/paints merchants. I think it was double-fronted, big-windowed and to the left of it was a slope of derelict land up to the Victorian houses and to the backs of the Church Road shops.
The corner No.1 was a bank, so Harford's was probably where La Luce is now.
Sorry, no photos.
Posted By: bert1 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 4th Mar 2024 3:32pm
1949 phone book is the earliest I have found the business in. Harford Brothers.
Posted By: bri445 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 4th Mar 2024 3:52pm
I've just found a photo in Ian Boumphrey's Yesterday's Birkenhead, 1860-1960', dated 1959, p123, showing it as I thought!
The 'derelict slope' could be being developed behind the tall fence.

Attached picture Harfords.jpg
Posted By: bri445 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 4th Mar 2024 3:58pm
Confirmation: The hanging sign looks like 'Dulux Paints'.
Posted By: mharford91 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 4th Mar 2024 5:25pm
Fantastic! I've just ordered that book - when I try to click the link to that photo, I'm getting a message that says I don't have access to download this document. Any ideas?
Posted By: mharford91 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 4th Mar 2024 5:47pm
Disregard - I was able to see the photo after paying and signing out. Hoping it's a little better quality in the book!
Posted By: bri445 Re: D.I.Y. / Building Shop - 4th Mar 2024 5:54pm
It's a small photo in the book!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral